California’s Eastern Sierra

Frequently Asked Fishing Questions

You know, FAFQ


What time of day can I fish in Mono County? 
- Hours are: one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. 
- Night fishing is prohibited in all Mono County waters except Topaz Lake, where fishing is prohibited from two hours after sunset to one hour before sunrise. 
- Night fishing is allowed on Rock Creek Lake (Inyo County) 24/7.

Is there anywhere that I cannot fish? 
Yes, there are a few waters that are permanently closed and prohibited to fishing in Mono County, no matter the time of year. These include: 
- Crooked Creek (below LADWP Gauging Station) is closed all year. 
- Rock Creek Diversion Channel is closed all year. Mill Creek and tributaries.
- Mill Creek and tributaries.
- Silver Creek and tributaries.
- Wolf Creek and Wolf Creek Lake.
- Kirman Lake tributaries.
- Junction Lake and tributaries.
- By-Day Creek.
- Convict Creek – UC study area.
- Crooked Creek below LA gauging station to Crowley Lake
- Rock Creek Diversion Channel
- Fish Slough (portions lie within the Owens Valley Native Fish Sanctuary and BLM Springs)
- Other closures may apply.  

Need more info? For more information about fishing rules and regulations, please contact the California Department of Fish & Wildlife at 760-872-1171 or visit or one of the friendly guide services available in Mono County.