Forest Service Closure Information
Updated 9/16: The Inyo National Forest has reopened.
The order for the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest will expire on September 17, 2021 at 11:59pm with restrictions lifted on Saturday, September 18th.
Fire restrictions are still in place for all public and private lands in Mono County.
To better provide public and firefighter safety due to the ongoing California wildfire crisis, the USDA Forest Service has temporarily closed the national forests in the Pacific Southwest Region from August 31, 2021 at 11:59pm through September 15, 2021 at 11:59pm. This closure affects the Inyo National Forest in Mono County. Read the press release here.
The Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, located within the Intermountain Region, has two forest orders that took effect on Wednesday, Sept. 1 and affect recreation opportunities and limit access on the Bridgeport and Carson Ranger Districts. Forest order 04-17-21-13 limits recreation activities on the Bridgeport Ranger District, which is in Mono County. Read the press release here.
We understand the orders and closures are confusing. Below are answers to some questions you may have. We will do our best to keep this page up to date, but this information is subject to change.
Other resources for information:
- Inyo National Forest website
- Inyo National Forest Facebook page
- Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest – Bridgeport Ranger District website
- Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Facebook page
- Visit Mammoth – more information on what’s open, closed in Mammoth Lakes
- Yosemite National Park website
- Yosemite National Park Facebook page
- Bodie State Historic Park website
- Bodie State Historic Park Facebook page
- Visitor centers are open with limited hours.
While there are no fires currently burning in Mono County, dangerous fire conditions exist with extremely limited firefighting resources. There are fire restrictions in place on all public and private lands in Mono County.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Inyo National Forest in Mono County?
Inyo National Forest land in Mono County stretches from the southern end of the County to roughly Lundy Lake and Conway Summit, just north of Lee Vining. Areas include Rock Creek, McGee Creek, Convict Lake, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, Mono Lake, Tioga Pass, Lee Vining, and Lundy Lake. See a map here.
Where is the Bridgeport Ranger District of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest in Mono County?
The Bridgeport Ranger District begins at about Conway Summit and stretches north to Topaz and the Nevada State Line. Areas include Virginia Lakes, Green Creek, Twin Lakes (Bridgeport), Sonora Pass, Walker River canyon, Walker, Coleville, and Topaz. See a map here.
What's OPEN in Mono County?
- Effective 9/16/21, the Inyo National Forest has reopened
- SR 120 Tioga Pass with access to Yosemite National Park (reservations required to enter the park, unless driving through with no stopping)
- Bodie State Historic Park
- Mono Lake Old Marina (South Tufa and Navy Beach access points are closed)
- Mono County parks
- Shady Rest Park and Mammoth Lakes Disk Golf course - open per an exemption granted to the Town of Mammoth Lakes
- Snowcreek and Sierra Star Golf Courses
- Mammoth Mountain Adventure Center (bike park, gondola closed)
- All privately owned and operated businesses not on Inyo National Forest leased land
- State and County roads
- BLM lands and campgrounds are currently open with fire restrictions
- LADWP lands are currently open, although there is a planned closure of the Owen River Gorge after Labor Day - info here. Camping and fires are never permitted on LADWP land.
OPEN fishing locations:
- Effective 9/16/21, the Inyo National Forest has reopened. This includes Rock Creek Lake, Convict Lake, the Mammoth Lakes Basin, June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake, Grant Lake, Rush Creek, Lee Vining Creek, and Lundy Lake.
- Crowley Lake
- Upper Owens River
- Virginia Lakes (Upper, Lower and Trumbull Lakes)
- Virginia Creek
- Green Creek
- Bridgeport Reservoir
- Upper and Lower Twin Lakes - Bridgeport
- Robinson Creek
- Little Walker River
- West Walker River
- Topaz Lake
OPEN hiking locations (Open for day use only, no overnight backpacking):
- Leavitt Meadows Trailhead
- Kirman Lake Trailhead
- Emma Lake Trailhead
- Burt Canyon Trailhead
- Molybdenite Trailhead
- Horse Creek Trailhead
- Robinson Creek Trailhead
- Cattle Creek Trailhead
- Tamarack Lake (Bridgeport) Trailhead
- Green Creek Trailhead
- Virginia Lakes Trailhead
- Buckeye Trailhead
- Mill Canyon Trailhead
- Effective 9/16/21, hiking trails located on the Inyo National Forest have reopened for day hiking and overnight backpacking.
OPEN campgrounds, RV parks and cabins:
- All concession operated public campgrounds are open on the Inyo National Forest and Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
- All cabins and businesses that operate with a special use permit on national forest land are openAll privately owned and operated RV parks are open.
- Dispersed camping and overnight backpacking is not allowed on the Humboldt-Toiyabe until Saturday, September 18th.
- Fire restrictions are in place for all public and private land in Mono County. Campfires are not allowed anywhere in Mono County at this time.
Events are happening! See the full events calendar here.
What is CLOSED in Mono County?
All Inyo National Forest land is closed through September 15, 2021 at 11:59pm, which includes the following: campgrounds trailheads and hiking trails marinas, resorts, and cabins leased on USFS land lakes and streams - no fishing, paddling, boating, etc. dispersed camping forest service roads - no off-roading, biking, etc. The temporary closure will either end on September 15, 2021 at 11:59pm or it will be extended.
- Dispersed or overnight camping outside of a designated concession-operated campgrounds located in the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Bridgeport Ranger District is closed/prohibited until September 18, 2021.
- Hoover Wilderness
Mono Lake South Tufaopen 9/16 Devils Postpile National Monument and Reds Meadowopen 9/16 June Mountainopen 9/16 Mammoth Lakes Basin and the Lakes Basin bike pathopen 9/16 Hot Creek Geological Siteopen 9/16 Earthquake Faultopen 9/16 Inyo Cratersopen 9/16
- Hayden Cabin - closed for the season