This year, take your Father's Day gift-giving to a new level - or elevation! - in Mono County. Here are 10 ideas to get you started on treating Dad to the perfect Father's Day:
1. Hit the water: Kayak, canoe, SUP, or boat rentals can be found all over Mono County. The toughest part of this plan is choosing one of the pristine, alpine lakes to go out on! Give us a call if you need a hand. And if you want to go with a guide, the Mono Lake Committee has canoe tours on Mono Lake, and Caldera Kayak offers tours on Mono Lake or Crowley Lake.
2. Craft beer and/or spirits tasting: Raise a glass to Dad at one of Mono County's fabulous craft breweries and distilleries: Big Meadow Brewing in Bridgeport, June Lake Brewing in June Lake, and four in Mammoth Lakes - Mammoth Brewing Co., Black Doubt Brewing Co., and Shelter Distilling, and Devils Creek Distillery. Cheers!
3. Take Dad for a thrill ride: Based out of June Lake, High Sierra Jeep Adventures will take you on a custom off-road tour to see parts of the Eastern Sierra you've never seen before!
4. Cast like a pro on a guided fly-fishing trip: There are several guide services available to teach you the perfect cast, set you up with the right flies, and get you to that sweet spot on the river! Learn more and find a guide on the Fishing page.
6. Pedal around town or hit the trails: You can rent mountain, road, hybrid, and even electric bikes in Mono County. Check out a list of rental shops here (be sure to ask the shop for route recommendations), or go wild at Mammoth Mountain's bike park.
7. Saddle up for a horseback ride: A great way to experience some of the hikes throughout the area, horseback riding can take all ages and abilities into the backcountry and high alpine areas with ease. View our list of Mono County pack outfitters.
8. Reel-y good fishing derbies: The Fred Hall Father's Day Fishing Tournament, Round-Up at the Lake (Convict Lake), and Crowley Lake Perch Derby are happening over Father's Day weekend - try your cast for cash and prizes!
9. Check out other Father's Day weekend events like Fly Fishing Film on Tour, Mammoth Yoga Festival, free music at the Whoa Nellie Deli, and more!
10. Make Dad feel young: Visit Bodie ghost town and Mono Lake! With over 200 buildings still standing in a state of “arrested decay,” Bodie’s long abandoned streets brings gold rush era history to life. And Dad will feel especially young at ancient Mono Lake - it was formed at least 760,000 years ago, with the most recent volcanic activity taking place only about 350 years ago. Both special places should be on Dad’s bucket list!